I finally got around to deep cleaning my room. I spend so much time helping others organize and de-clutter their spaces that I never want to deal with my own.
It was an all-day process but so well worth it. I vacuumed, dusted, swept, and sanitized everything you can imagine. I got rid of THREE bags of clothing for donations and two smaller bags to re-sell. I organized the drawers in my dresser so I know where everything is and sorted my closet to the T (sorta kinda pun intended).
If you have way too much stuff/crap/junk like I did, here are a few tips to help you get it right and get it tight.
- Play your favorite up-tempo tunes to help keep you moving.
- If you haven’t worn it or used it in over a year, get rid of it! We don’t need half of the things we hoard. If you haven’t used it, chances are you never will and it’s just taking up more space.
- Sort your closet by season and sub-sort by color. You will find everything faster.
- Work on one section at a time. Don’t overwork yourself by trying to tackle multiple sections of your room. That will create chaos.
- If possible, use a vacuum with a hose with attachments to get in those nooks and crannies.
- Use storage bins for odds and ends that don’t really have a place of their own.
Post cleaning I felt relieved and my room felt spacious. We can’t be clean 100% of the time, especially with busy schedules. But your room is your personal sanctuary and taking time to organize can ease your mind. Hopefully these tips will help, because they sure did help me.